Garlic Butter Spread That Can Make An Aswang Your Friend


Currently, our apartment only has a one-burner induction cooker. I'd like to think it helps me pace myself and not get too crazy when cooking, but at times it can slow me down. For breakfast, let's say you want to make toast, eggs, spam and hash brown. You have to cook every component individually and takes about 30 minutes for me to prepare this simple breakfast. Last I made is the toast-- slathered with enough garlic butter spread on one side as to not overkill it. Why only one side? For me, it's overkill to have it on both sides. Not only is it too cloying when it's too oiled up after toasting but you don't get to taste the bread. I like bread, too, and surprisingly it's good enough when you eat it on it's own.

I based this spread off my time working as a manager for this chain of bakery/restaurant. I get distracted whenever they would be bringing out garlic focaccia or just their simple garlic toast. They disappear within minutes and people even have some reserved. I didn't make the spreads as the commissary prepares the mixes and spreads but you can tell from the smell that it has basil, garlic, butter, salt and other preservatives. It's not too herby or overwhelmingly garlicky and would make a vampire or an aswang visit you for some toast.

photo courtesy of she wears many hats  because I wasn't able to take a photo of my container

Garlic Butter Spread:

1 bar/cup butter (I'm not a shill but I use Queensland butter)
15g chopped basil (chop it finely)
4 cloves garlic, pounded to a paste or minced finely
1 tsp fine salt
5 g chopped parsley (optional)

Let your butter sit in room temperature for a while. In a bowl, mix the garlic and salt so that it can dissolve into the garlic paste and would be distributed properly into the spread. Add the softened butter and chopped herbs into the bowl and mix thoroughly until it looks light. Transfer to a resealable  container and spread onto bread.

If you don't like the taste of basil, you can use parsley instead and make it a good ingredient for sautés! You can add lemon zest or even add calamansi to make it a citrusy blend for seafood. Adding Parmesan Cheese to will give it a salty, nutty, and cheesy boost to your toast/dishes. So far I've even added it to cooked pasta to give it a tasty boost.

Comments