Stray notes: Overripe Bananas Are Our Friends


Masarap ang saging. There, I said it. They are good for us and people even developed a fad diet over it. But it's a fruit and it has fructose--a type of sugar so it's not exactly good to eat in high quantities especially if you're looking after your blood sugar. Andami kong nakikitang saging sa palengke and dahil sa init, nangingitim na. Wala, tapon lang.

Pero nung time na kasagsagan ng pagbake and pagbebenta ko ng Banana bread, ako tagasimot ng mga overripe na saging. The best bananas for baking are always the dark ones-- they're soft and mushy so you can easily mash them to pulp, as well as them being at their sweetest before they go beyond redemption.

I don't know what's wrong with my bf's mouth (uhuhuhuh) but he tends to have an itchy tongue and throat after eating raw bananas. I've been craving for this fruit for a while now so as a compromise, I thought maybe we can get some and I'll make it into something he can eat with me.

I've turned it into pancakes and mashed it up further to make Banana Butterscotch Jam (recipe was oddly posted in Instagram here). The jam was added to toast and puff pastry to make excellent snacks.



I'll post the recipes for each of these soon. But for now, let me remind you to not throw away these sweet, sweet, dark nectars.

Comments